Dolittle is an upcoming American fantasy adventure comedy film directed by Stephen Gaghan, from a screenplay by Gaghan and John Whittington, and a story by Thomas Shepherd. It is based on the character Doctor Dolittle created by Hugh Lofting, primarily The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle. Robert Downey Jr. stars as the title character, alongside Antonio Banderas and Michael Sheen in live action roles; the voice cast includes Emma Thompson, Rami Malek, John Cena, Kumail Nanjiani, Octavia Spencer, Tom Holland, Craig Robinson, Ralph Fiennes, Selena Gomez and Marion Cotillard. The film will be released on January 17, 2020.
After losing his wife seven years earlier, the eccentric John Dolittle (Downey), famed doctor and veterinarian of Victorian England, hermits himself away behind the high walls of Dolittle Manor with only his menagerie of animals for company. But when Queen Victoria (Jessie Buckley) falls gravely ill, a reluctant Dolittle is forced to set sail on an epic adventure to a mythical island in search of a cure, regaining his wit and courage as he crosses old adversaries and encounters wondrous creatures.
- Robert Downey Jr. as Dr. John Dolittle, a veterinarian who has the ability to speak to animals.
- Harry Collett as Tommy Stubbins, Dolittle’s self-appointed apprentice.
- Antonio Banderas as Rassoulim.
- Michael Sheen as Mudfly
- Jessie Buckley as Queen Victoria, The Queen of England.
- Ralph Ineson as Arnall Stubbins
- Jim Broadbent
- Kasia Smutniak
- Carmel Laniado as Lady Rose