Robert Downey Jr. played the role of Blackface in the past!
The actor and Hollywood icon Robert Downey Jr. is the known face of around the globe through his popularity as Iron Man and he is one of the most loved actors of Hollywood.
Recently he is facing some backlash from social media for the role he portrayed back in 2008 in the movie called ‘Tropic Thunder.’ The movie was hit among the masses and did a very good business.
However, the fans are calling him out in 2020 for portraying Blackface in the film, which he did in 2008 on which he won an Oscar as the internet is divided on the actor’s avatar and some were supporting and some were opposing him over being racist.
He also defended the controversy saying:
“I [got] to hold up to nature the insane self-involved hypocrisy of artists and what they think they’re allowed to do on occasion, just my opinion.”
He further added,
“And 90 percent of my Black friends were like, ‘Dude, that was great.’ I can’t disagree with [the other 10 percent], but I know where my heart lies…In my defense, Tropic Thunder is about how wrong [blackface] is, so I take exception.”
One of the user shared:
“Remember that time Robert Downey Jr. did full blackface and nobody said ANYTHING.”
“I can’t believe rdj played blackface. Him acting as a black Male is racist and I don’t see how you can defend him for it. We need to cancel him immediately #cancelrdj.”
Some even defended him while saying:
“I see we’re at that magical time of the year again when someone on here clearly doesn’t understand the jokes in Tropic Thunder, so now we all have to take time out of our day to explain it to them. Don’t worry, we can all get through it together.”